« Home | Positive » | In Good Company » | Worst. Video. Ever. Period. Seriously. » | Little House on the Prairie vs. the Gothic South » | God is Love and God is God » | Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them » | Analogy? » | T vs. Modernity » | Conquering the Qur'an » | Blast from the Past »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Did anyone else know that the title of the movie was taken from a 18th century poem by Alexander Pope called "Eloisa to Abelard," or am I just really behind the times? It was included in the IMDB trivia for the movie, but I found it because the poem was assigned in my Restoration and 18th Century Literature class.

The story of Abelard and Eloisa (or, Heloise) is pretty interesting; Wikipedia has a pretty good article on it. Thinking back through the movie (it's been almost a year since I have seen it), I can see some correlations to the story and the poem, but not between the Jim Carrey and the Kate Winslet characters; instead, the story seems to be most similar to the movie's subplot about the doctor and the Kirsten Dunst characters.

Labels: ,

Yeah, in the movie, Kirsten Dunst's character says the lines surrounding the titular phrase, and explains that it's from an Alexander Pope poem (or "Pope Alexander" as she says before Dr. Mierzwiak corrects her).

That's right! I had forgotten all about that part. Hmmm... I still wonder why exactly they picked it. It's pretty?

We read some of the letters between Abelard and Heloise in my church history class and I remember coming across that. Since you're so behind on your history of the christian church (not for long though, hello seminary) perhaps you ought to brush up, yes? :)

I'd just like to point out that Jacob and I read Abelard's "A History of my Calamities" for Medieval Literature and Theology last semester (and what a read it was), so perhaps we shan't be so hasty before leveling charges of academic ignorance, eh :)

Yeah...I definitely knew who Abelard and Heloise were, but I was saying that I hadn't heard of the poem by Alexander Pope.

Do you remember the time that I back-handedly berated someone who commented on your website, Lindsey, because I thought that he was a spammer? Good times...

Post a Comment