« Home | Reading... » | Did you know...? » | Living by Hearsay » | I Love Nebraska Update » | Denarii and Denial of Self » | Ein' Feste (Wart)Burg » | I Love Nebraska (But Not Like This) » | Not Just for the Birds » | Slander, Thy Name is Doyle » | Goslar »

One Baptism

This morning at a church I was visiting, I witnessed for the first time an infant baptism. When I realized mid-service that one was coming, I actually became really nervous and excited for what was about to take place. I had been anticipating my first infant baptism for a long time, and I was not disappointed: it was a beautiful and holy thing to see.

Ironically, before I knew that an infant baptism was coming, I had seen that same baby squawking during a hymn, and my mind went to Matt. 21:16, where Jesus quoted the Septuagint version of Psalm 8:2: "Out of the mouth of infants and nursing babies you have prepared praise." Thinking about how the baby was participating in worshiping the Lord with her parents, I wondered if she had been or would soon be baptized as a member of the covenant community. About ten minutes later, my question was answered.

Labels: , , ,

I watched my first infant baptism last week. Many times before I have seen parents come to the front with their infants and the pastor will announce that he had baptized the infant earlier that day or in the hospital. But you're right; it is a really cool experience.

Post a Comment