« Home | Misunderstatement » | Word of the Year » | "Dumb Things I Have Done" #4,739,201 » | This should make me the most popular kid in school... » | While My Fingers Press Onto The Strings (Yet Anoth... » | More fame » | Potpourri » | Top 5 Reasons I Love Being a Legislative Page » | The Sexiest Man Alive! » | Leave it to Apple »

Why I Am A Backpacker

"Many people - I am one myself - would never, but for what nature does to us, have had any content to put into the words we must use in confessing our faith. Nature never taught me that there exists a God of glory and of infinite majesty. I had to learn that in other ways. But nature gave the word glory a meaning for me. I still do not know where else I could have found one. I do not see how the "fear" of God could have ever meant to me anything but the lowest prudential efforts to be safe, if I had never seen certain ominous ravines and unapproachable crags. And if nature had never awakened certain longings in me, huge areas of what I can now mean by the "love" of God would never, so far as I can see, have existed."



-C.S. Lewis, "The Four Loves"



Labels:

Another reason, perhaps:

"For a second he feels and then loses some of the urging of the delight in a mind that could see and comprehend it all, all at once. 'I could stay here a long time,' he thinks. 'I could stay here a long time.' He could watch it for a considerable time without tiring, maybe even a lifetime. He senses that his rapturous absorption mirrors God's, but he cannot hold that thought long lest his mind explode with the largeness of it."
-Clifford Williams, "The Life of the Mind"

Post a Comment